We recently got a personal shopping request from a client who is 5’10”, a size 8, and has a small bust. She mentions that most swimwear is made to slim a figure vs. accentuate curves. I have the same figure challenge so I loved researching options! The following options are in a range of budgets and tastes – I wasn’t sure if the client was looking for a two piece or more conservative option so I decided to include a little of everything. If you fit the description I hope you find some options that are useful!
First Up? Ruffles!:
Although I found a variety of options, I mostly focused on tankinis since they tend to be the best of both worlds–not as hot or cumbersome as a one piece but not as daring as a two piece. And in particular: Ruffles, Ruffles, and more Ruffles! Ruffles add depth, texture, and volume to flat chest. They also accentuate any curve you do have in that area.
From Left to right:
1. Magic Suit “Rita” Ruffle Tankini – slimming but with flattering ruffles that are cleverly designed to not only accentuate a bust but hide a belly. Bravo!
2. Old Navy Mix and Match Ruffle Tankini – The ruffle and the subtle pleats both add depth and curve.
3. Seafolly Shimmer Frill Front Swim Suit – This is the only one piece I included since most tall women can’t wear “regular” one pieces. Since our client is 5’10” I figured this one may be worth the risk (I’m 6′ and can sometimes pull off a “regular” one piece). This one is just so pretty with the plunging neckline and frill trim, not to mention removable padded cups!
4. Kenneth Cole Reaction Swimsuit, Over The Shoulder Ruffled Tankini Top – Again a ruffled bustline with removable soft cups. Not to mention this one comes in 6 fun colors!
5. Be Creative Halter Ruffled Tankini – Besides ruffles, a halter neckline also does wonders for a small bust. Typically that silhouette bring the ‘girls,’ up and pushes them together–so what little is there, can seem amplified! This one comes in beautiful jewel tones as well as black.
Next up? Shirring, Ruching, Sweatheart Necklines, and a Halter:
A sweetheart neckline makes a bust appear larger- especially these options which add subtle shaping. As I mentioned earlier- a halter also flatters small bust.
From Left to Right:
1. Badgley Mischka Wide Strap Tankini – This tankini has molded cups as well as flattering ruching.
2. Tommy Hilfiger Halter Pique Striped Tankini – This sporty suit includes removable Soft Cups. According to the description, it hits at the hip which lead me to believe it’s longer than your average tankini. The halter shape will give you a little boost in the bust!
3. & 4. Photos 3 and 4 are of the same suit. One source has a few different color options, while the other (though more expensive) comes in a smaller size. La Blanca Ruched Tankini & La Blanca ‘Glamour’ Tankini . This flattering tankini is very similar to the first except it has slimmer straps. It also has foam line molded cups for nice added shape and definition.
Last but not least? For the brave: Two Pieces.
Most women of a certain age or who just tend to be conservative might not be interested in bikinis but for those who are, these are great options. And it’s counter intuitive but fashion editor after fashion editor actually recommends wearing a small suit to make curves appear balanced. (i.e. small busted women can get away with a triangle top). Now I didn’t go there because I think our target market is probably avoiding itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikinis! But the numbers below are a more conservative take on that piece of stylist wisdom.
1. Asos Mix and Match Padded Shirred Bandeau Bikini – This suit has shirring and padding. And unlike the other suits, the bright color will actually draw light in, making the chest seem larger (dark colors tend to slim, and light colors tend to do the opposite).
2. Kenneth Cole Reaction Bandeau Ruffle Bikini – Again with the ruffles! I also love the “Y” strap on this suit. If the orange scares you, have no fear. There are five other colors to choose from. This suit includes non removable molded soft cups.
And if all else fails?
Braza Silicone Triangle Bra Inserts – These say they are suitable for swimwear! If you try them, please let me know what you think! (Not that I would be interested or anything [ahem]).
Hope this helps you find the right suit for your tall, thin, small busted frame!! Lucky you!
View more choices in women’s tall swimsuits.